Signing Up as Amazon Developer
Note: At the time of this writing Amazon waives the first year developer fee of $99.
1. Go to https://developer.amazon.com/public/support and click on the SIGN IN or CREATE FREE ACCOUNT link in the Nav bar. You should also select English, Chinese or Japanese language from the pull-down list.
2. Here you may sign in with an existing account or create a new one. It is best to create a separate account for your developer account instead of using a personal Amazon account.
3. Complete the Registration data. Whether you click on the “I am a new customer” or “I am a returning customer” option, you will need to input the email address you want to use for your developer account. The registration form is intuitive and items marked with a red asterisk must be completed. Based on what you inserted in the Sign In form (above), the application will be prefilled with your data existing data. You will need to complete the rest.
You must input data into every filed that has a red asterisk – *.
4. When you have completed that page, you will be taken to the Application Distribution Agreement. Read and accept it – a requirement if you want to sell apps on Amazon. It is a long page. We also suggest printing it out for future reference should the need arise.
5. After signing the Agreement, you are taken to the Payments section where you answer the question “Do you plan to monetize apps?” This relates to selling your app for a specific fee or for using the Amazon ad network, which is integrated in your Skybuilder apps. If you plan to sell the app for a certain price your should select the “Yes” answer. If you plan to monetize the app with Amazon ads, you should say “Yes” as well.
6. If you select the “yes” you will need to answer a few questions about where to send your money — i.e., Amazon needs your banking info for direct deposit. Following are the screens you will need to complete:
7. Next, you will need to set up your “tax identity” … again a few intuitive questions that only you can answer. If you need any assistance with the process, contact Amazon support, or click on the ‘Tax Identity Interview Guide” link that you see in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
You must provide your taxpayer identification information to become eligible to publish paid apps, apps that contain in-app products, apps that use the Amazon Mobile Ads API, or apps that otherwise generate royalties or other payments to you by Amazon.
Once you submit the tax information, Amazon will verify that it is correct. You will receive a notification that the information is valid or not valid. If “not valid”, then you must complete the tax identity interview with valid information within 30 days to avoid your apps being made unavailable for customers to purchase.
7. Go ahead and select YES on the Electronic 1099 signature. That’s the fastest/easiest way. Keep in mind … this is not necessary if you are only distributing FREE apps.
8. On the following screens Amazon will ask a series of questions to determine if you are obligated to pay taxes in the U.S. Answer the questions, or click the Ask Me Later button to skip them. NOTE: IF you are obligated for U.S. taxes you will not get paid until you complete the form and it is validated.
9. Other “Tax Identity Interview” questions you will encounter:
10. Once you have completed the Tax Interview, you will get a notice of “Information awaiting validation.
It could take as little as a few seconds to several hours to validate the tax information.
Once it is verified by Amazon You will see the notice that “Tax identity is validated,” at which point you may submit your first app.